Thursday, February 07, 2013

Lightsabers, Mutants, and Laser Pistol Wielding Racoons...Oh My!

2013...we potentially will have Star Trek into DarknessIron Man 3Pacific RimThe WolverineKick-Ass 2Thor: The Dark WorldMan of Steel, RED 2ElysiumOblivion, 300: Rise of an Empire, Sin City: A Dame to Kill ForRiddickSmurfs 2, and I, Frankenstein. Some look to be excellent, others I haven't heard much about. But all have the potential to be magical films that take the viewer on an imaginative journey...with the exception of the Smurfs of course. But this post isn't about the movies of 2013...I'm looking further ahead into the future of some of the most gigantic franchises in history to reveal upcoming rumors about their shared movie universes and confirmed announcements about their upcoming films.

First off, Rowan Blanchard has been cast as Corey and Topanga's daughter in the new Boy Meets World spin-off, Girl Meets World. Ok, now that the important stuff has been covered, let's get into all of the announcements and rumors that I've promised about the nerd-tastic world of blockbuster movie franchises. Superhero expanded movie universes. Well known space movie franchises. Or as I call them, the movies that I pray won't suck.

A couple weeks ago, I posted my thoughts on Disney and Kathleen Kennedy choosing J.J. Abrams to helm the next episode in the Star Wars saga.  Now, Disney executives confirmed that Star Wars will be developing standalone spin-off films to accompany the continuation of the saga which hits theaters in 2015.  Rumors flooded the scene with characters like Yoda, Jabba the Hutt, Han Solo, and Boba Fett all being considered for their own films. My thoughts are that they should make a criminal underworld centered film about the Hutts that could include a young Han Solo and the bounty hunter Boba Fett. I'd like to see a gangster style of movie created with aliens.
He pulls a Gaffii Stick you pull a blaster, he sends one of yours to the med-bay you send one of his to the Rancor Pit! That’s the Tatooine way
Sticking with Disney, Marvel confirmed Chris Pratt in the Guardians of the Galaxy film as Peter Quill and Emily VanCamp in Captain America: The Winter Soldier in phase 2 of Marvel Studios movies that kick off this May with Iron Man 3.  With Phase 2 not even airing the first movie yet, Marvel continued to lay out their plans with Phase 3 and confirmed both Ant-Man and Dr. Strange movies in the not-so-near future. Then, they rumored a Planet Hulk and World War Hulk story-line for phase 3.  When I heard that rumor, I nearly wet myself...ok, I did wet myself, but it was in happiness not anger. I may have a problem. I should probably see a doctor. I digress. Sure the comic book story for Planet Hulk and World War Hulk included characters that Marvel no longer holds the film rights to, but I think they can easily adapt the script and make phase 3 an epic Hulk-centered story.

Speaking of Marvel characters that had their rights sold, Mark Millar shepherds a new era of 20th Century Fox's X-Men/Fantastic Four universe starting with this year's Wolverine movie. However, the real fun begins in 2014 when X-Men Days of Future Past hits theaters and sets up a story 11 years after X-Men: First Class that involves time travel to after the events of X-Men: the Last Stand. What we know is that cast members from the original trilogy are involved including Rogue, Iceman, and Kitty Pryde as well as aged Professor X, Magneto, and of course Wolverine. It is also rumored that the sentinels will make a real appearance in this film...and not just a head being dismantled in the danger room as we saw before.

The final bit of news comes from the pre-production of the Amazing Spider-Man 2.  We already knew that Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Sally Field were returning (as well as Martin Sheen) from the first outing. Then, we heard about the additions of Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane Watson and Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn. With Dane as Harry comes the Twitter rumor that somewhere in this franchise we may see the Harry Osborn version of Venom.  But more importantly we have confirmed two additional villains for this franchise. Oscar winner Jamie Foxx as Electro and Oscar-nominated actor Paul Giamatti as the Rhino. With the addition of these two villains along with the Lizard and Norman Osborn being established in the first film, we are getting closer and closer to the rumored Sinister Six story line for future endeavors of this film franchise.

As a nerd and blockbuster movie fan, I'm uber-excited about the upcoming years of these franchises. Still, I'm a bit wary of it too. I've been excited for films that let me down hard...Spider-Man 3 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, I'm talking abut you. I didn't even get into the rumors about the Justice League movie...because that's all there is, rumors. Nothing announced yet...come on Warner Bros. Get in the game.

Special Thanks to: 
TheLostWinchester
Comicvine.com
G4TV
Screenrant.com 
for use of the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment